Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Versailles - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

A Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s.

Versailles


My wife noticed on Facebook recently that one of her friends had taken their grandchildren to Versailles Poultry Days and had posted some photos that brought back many fond memories of Poultry Days for my wife, as she had grown up in nearby Russia.


One of my sisters was in the Miss Chick pageant, and a high school classmate of mine actually won the contest in the mid-sixties. She’s pictured below:


I don't ever recall as a kid going to Poultry Days; however, my memories of Versailles involved poultry as well, primarily going to buy baby chicks documented in this previous blogpost. My wife’s fondest memories of Versailles were countless trips to the swimming pool every summer. Her Godmother, aunt Rita, would round up all the neighborhood kids and travel to Versailles from Russia to enjoy the pool. My wife recently called her aunt and over the course of the conversation, discovered she is a big Fish Report fan and actually reads my blogposts! Imaging that? In her honor, the following photo of Rita at her first communion along with her brother (my wife’s Dad) is now posted to cyberspace.


My wife and I visited the palace of Versailles in France a few year ago and we happened to mention to the tour guide about a town in Ohio with a French heritage named after Versailles but pronounced differently. She said that’s the way the German’s pronounce Versailles when they tour the palace.


After searching eBay, the following memorabilia were found for sale. Below are two offerings related to the now defunct auto dealership, Elson Ford:



And this presumably empty box of Ward Way ice cream:


Along with this 1981 ad for Poultry Days:


Here’s a sesquicentennial token and commemorative place from 1964. My wife remembers going to the celebration, but having to leave early because her arm was hurting from being broken when hit by a car while walking home from cheerleading practice.


And a postcard from horse and buggy days along Main Street:


An historic photo of Midmark employees in 1915. My niece now works there:


An undated price sheet from a local poultry producer:


And finally, in honor of Versailles deep poultry roots, this video is being provided for your musical enjoyment.

2 comments:

  1. Who was Deb's classmate who won the Miss Chick contest referenced above?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Miss Chick winner was Jane Ernst in my class, not Deb's. She still looks great 50 years later.

    ReplyDelete