Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Summer of ‘71 - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

A Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s.

Summer of ‘71


Writing last week about the 1971 All-Star game brought back even better memories of that summer, as it was more importantly, the summer I met my wife. I had just completed my senior year in college and had returned back to Dayton to start my job at Frigidaire. My friend Tom was having a party on Friday, May 15th and somehow without cell phones, email, Facebook or Twitter, I found out about it through the prevalent technology back then, the Grapevine!

And there she was, a pretty brunette setting on a couch in the living room of Tom’s apartment. I sat down on the arm of the couch next to her. We started talking and have continued that conversation for some 46 years now. While taking a walk together yesterday on a perfect summer morning, I mentioned this week’s blog topic to my wife. We shared again our favorite times, such as the first movie we had seen together called “The Summer of ’42”, an Oscar-winning film about a love story during WWII staring Jennifer 0’Neil, pictured on the right, who looked a lot like my wife.

We recalled the canoe trip on the Au Sable river; our first visit to Michigan, where we were to eventually live for the last 45 years. Also, the great times around the pool with friends at our apartment complex (photo below), the all-you-could-eat lobster fest where my wife reminded me I gobble down 7 lobsters, the joy exploring new places and doing things together for the first time.


This song by Helen Reddy entitled the “Summer of ’71” perfectly captures that wonderful summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment