Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Teamwork Makes the Dream Work

Big goals are rarely accomplished by one person alone. That's why I'm grateful for Shelby County students and their positive energy. (Pictures by Ali Rittenhouse)

The country song “I Had Some Help” by Post Malone featuring Morgan Wallen was once a top stream on my playlist back in 2025. One line of the tune goes, “They say teamwork makes the dream work”. Now, if you know the song or listen to the rest of the lyrics, you’ll understand that line is actually about a relationship where teamwork clearly did not make the dream work. But for me, I recently borrowed the phrase for a different message: In school, in your career, and in life, the people you surround yourself with can make a huge difference in what you’re able to accomplish.

Chasing my own dream
Last Thursday I spoke at the Shelby County Fairgrounds in Sidney to two large groups of area students about Career Exploration. Before my official introduction to the kids, I was hidden behind a wall outside of the arena (granted, it was a livestock arena). Executive Director Carrie O’Leary from Workforce Partnership of Shelby County was the emcee and hyped my intro in rock star fashion. Mitch Rowlett from Dayton Mobile DJ next blasted “I Had Some Help” over the loud speakers. On cue, I entered the arena and bounced around high-fiving any of the students that wanted to play along. It was a walkout that likely would have made Post Malone and Morgan Wallen jealous. And had my wife been in attendance, she would have been thoroughly embarrassed. Nevertheless, it got the students excited and that was my big goal!

After my lap was complete and I eventually caught my breath, it was time to speak. I stated my name was Craig, my nickname was Fish, and my occupation was a human resources manager. However, I further explained that my dream was to be a country music star called Fish that could pump up the crowd before a big show. Because of Carrie, Mitch, and all the students that indulged me, together their teamwork just made my dream work. I sincerely thanked them.

The show was just getting started and next I engaged the students further. One bold volunteer agreed to join me in front of the crowd with a friend. We played a simple game with three red solo cups. Underneath one cup was $20, another cup just $10, and another cup only $2. My volunteer didn’t know which cups held which cash amounts. I asked her to pick a cup and encouraged the rowdy crowd to shout their advice. That resulted in chaos and confusion. She fretted over her decision and hesitantly picked the middle cup. Before revealing the cash underneath, I gave her some information and stated that I knew the middle cup contained just $10. She was also given one final opportunity to change her decision with some advice from only her friend this time. In the end, together they decided to switch to a different cup and luckily picked the one with $20! Both girls were extra happy when I revealed the $20 was two ten dollar bills that they were able to split evenly.

The best decisions are sometimes made with a little help from the people who know you best.

What was the point of the cup game? I explained those cups represented our choices in school, our careers, and our lives. We’re out there every day trying to decide which cup to pick. Often times we get confusing advice from people we don't know, like on social media and in the news. The lesson of the game wasn’t that someone else will always know which cup to pick for us. It was that the people we surround ourselves with can help us make better decisions when we’re not sure which direction to go. Choose your friends and other influences carefully, because their advice can have a real impact on the choices you make and the opportunities you see. You don’t have to figure everything out on your own, and you certainly won’t make every decision perfectly. But if you surround yourself with people who genuinely want to see you succeed, you’ll have a much better team beside you as you chase whatever your own “dream” happens to be!

-Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment