Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Sports - Dave's Midwestern Ohio Memories

Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s

Sports

Imagine a world without sports - I can’t either! From the youngest age, sports permeates our lives in all kinds of wonderful and imaginable ways. From that first ball your parents put in your crib to the sports memorabilia that might be placed in your coffin, we are privileged to enjoy the many amenities and benefits of sports activity.

My first sports memory was rather unique in that it was badminton! My Mom loved playing the game so we were taught to hold a racket and hit the shuttlecock at a very young age.

Badminton was best played when there was no wind so the shuttlecock stayed on course. We had this special place in our barnyard near a shed that tended to block the wind. That game introduced me to and help develop skills for all kinds of other rackets sports like tennis, paddleball and pickle ball that I enjoy playing to this day, as do several of my siblings.


The family’s badminton net also served a dual purpose for volleyball as well.

Of all the sports I played over the years, most people are surprised to learn that volleyball was likely my best. Since it’s not a high school sport for boys, other than recreational volleyball, it wasn’t until college when I became proficient. As a freshman on our fraternity intramural team, I recall playing with several outstanding setters who could perfectly place the ball above the net for me to spike. My 6’5” frame and jumping ability from basketball really were assets in volleyball. We won the intramural championship all four years in college and also won numerous championships in the Ford recreational league while working there after college. And on summer weekends, we played lots of pick-up volleyball around the pool at our apartment complex and later in the water near our lakefront home.


Without sports, life would be a bore! Whether playing or watching a sport, fun times result. Sports activities are the best form of recreation and exercise in my view because there’s a competition underway that gets the juices flowing and energy level rising.

My passion for sports continues unabated in my 71st year, as I’m usually doing something sports-related every day. Retirement has really help in that regard given my time can now be spent participating in sporting activities.


A routine each day is checking in on Fish Report for the many sports articles and social media posts. What a wonderful service Craig and his fine crew provide for area sports fans. Thanks so much! It’s the perfect way for me to stay connected to and root for my favorite teams back home.

I’m amazed at the competitive play by the teams in the SCAL and MAC. The competition is of such high quality; arguably the best in the state. Take it from me, the teamwork, skills and lessons learned on the playing fields at that critical age will serve every participant very well for the rest of their lives. May each cherish their time playing competitive sports at the high school level. And good luck!

~~~~~~~~

Receive a weekly email whenever there is a new blog post. Just enter your email address in the designated spot below the blog and follow instructions to set up the notification.

No comments:

Post a Comment