Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Birthday Gag Gift - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

A Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s

Birthday Gag Gift


Recall several posts back that I had “celebrated” my 70th birthday? Well, as a gag, a good friend gave me a gift certificate for a pedicure at my wife’s nail salon - so that provides a clue that she was in on it, too.


This week my wife had scheduled a manicure, so I tagged along to check out what a pedicure would entail. Needless to say, I took the plunge (literally starting by soaking my feet in something akin to toilet bowl cleaner) and got my first-ever pedicure as pictured above. As further evidence my wife was in on the gag, the couple who gave me the gift certificate pictured below showed up to razz me and take photos!


I recall as a kid on the farm, going barefoot all summer long, stepping on rusty nails (requiring painful tetanus shots), getting splinters and stubbing toes. And when I did wear shoes, they were cramped hand-me-downs or worn out basketball sneakers. After 70 years of wear and tear, my feet were really in need of some tender loving care.


No, the pedicurist did not need metal cutters to trim my toe nails as pictured above, However, she did need something that looked like a cheese grater and some course sandpaper to smooth out the bottom of my feet.


Now, I’m not the first guy to get a pedicure, as back in the mid-1700’s, Thomas Jefferson brought the practice to America from France as outlined below. Therefore, I'm in good company.



The pedicure also included treatment to the lower leg as pictured above. The vibrating lounge chair provided a thorough massage to my back as the pedicure was being performed, plus they offered a glass of wine as a refreshment. All-in-all, the pedicure was very relaxing and much more enjoyable than I had imagined. And for at least a week afterwards, my toes sort of tingled in a good way, somewhat like after a thorough teeth cleaning, only on the opposite end. Will I ever do it again: maybe in another 70 years, but for now I have happy feet, thanks to my gag-gifting friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment