Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Overtime Victory - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

A Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s

Overtime Victory

After last week’s blog on Avoiding Senioritis, I received an email from a cousin from Minster regarding the statement in my blogpost that Ft. Loramie had won the annual grudge match between the Wildcats and Redskins back in 1965. He remembered that Minster had won by 1 point. So I started digging through old issues of the Community Post on-line and discovered the following article indicating that Minster did indeed beat Ft. Loramie by one point, but in December of 1966 the year after I had graduated when he was a senior at Minster.

From Dec. 8, 1966 Community Post


Note the section in the article called Stukenborg Predicts. I had written this previous blogpost about Paul and his exploits.

The following Community Post article about the game the previous year during my senior year that I had referenced in the blogpost did indicate Loramie won in overtime. After 52 years, everything gets a little fuzzy. When his email arrived, I wondered whether my memory had failed me. But overtime wins are hard to forget!

From: Dec. 9, 1965 Community Post


If you notice the captions under several of the photos from the 1965 overtime game, you notice that the referees received more press than the players. My cousin and I both remember one terrible "homer" referee by the name of Doc Staley, who reffed that game. I have no idea if he was a doctor or not; likely not, because he was dumber than a doornail. For example, he tee’ed up Minster coach Virg Winklewich for a technical foul because he was “waving his hands”, a totally BS call. Likely the technical shot was made by Loramie sharpshooter Mike Ernst, a 90% foul shooter, meaning Doc Staley probably cost Minster the game. Another photo showed the referees conferring on a call, no doubt with the other referee trying to undo another Doc Staley bad call.


As of this writing, my alma mater's basketball team pictured above is undefeated, having an outstanding season so far. Plus Coach Britton and his wife are expecting a new baby. Congratulations! Hope the players avoid the senioritis that plagued me way back when and they go on to win the SCAL and get to State. I’ll be rooting for them from afar, monitoring Fish Report scoreboard updates and live stream radio broadcasts when available.

1 comment:

  1. Dave: I do remember Doc Staley. We hated to get him as a ref at Russia too. I think everybody thought he was a "homer" but he often made ridiculous calls against us when he reffed on our home court so I'm not sure he was a crook... just a terrible ref and a generally strange guy. He worked to be the center of attention. I remember that, from time to time, he would fake a toss-up for jump ball just so he could laugh when both players would leap and paw at the air while he still had the ball in his hands. It was an ego trip for him.
    Denny York

    ReplyDelete