Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Local eBay Memorabilia - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

A Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s.

Local eBay Memorabilia

Each day I receive email alerts from eBay for any memorabilia related to many of the local communities back home. I seldom buy anything, but when the emails come in, I’m often reminded of some nuance about the item. Here are a few examples:


Dad had an ash tray like this from Minster's Motor Inn Garage next to his easy chair in the living room. He gave up smoking when I was pretty young, but for years as a kid we’d play with the tire ash tray, rolling it back and forth, popping out the glass insert, bouncing the tire against the brick wall on our porch and other such games. Fortunately it was used more as a toy than ash tray, no doubt contributing to Dad’s 94 year longevity. In fact, as I recall the tread was long gone and nothing like the photo. Speaking of ash trays, below is a 1976 bicentennial commemorative piece manufactured by my wife’s great uncle from Russia. He also died at a ripe old age as well so he too obviously didn’t use the product much. And pictured below that is a Minster Machine ash tray advertising their world famous punch presses documented in this previous blog post.




Since we’re on the subject of smoking, below is a photo of an historic Ft. Loramie Fire Department helmet from the early 1900’s that sold for $372! Recall this previous blog about firefighters from that era.


Here are some cancelled stamps from way back when that bring back memories of my stamp collection as a kid that mysteriously disappeared after I left for college, along with my Erector set and baseball card collection! My younger brother has pleaded ignorance all these years; however, my sister did find my old Lincoln log set several years ago in an old box of Mom & Dad’s stuff in her attic! By the way, little known fact: Lincoln Logs were invented by the son of famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1916.


Versailles, Ohio



Look for more local eBay memorabilia next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment