Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Working Too Hard or Playing Too Hard? - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

Blog about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s.

Working Too Hard or Playing Too Hard?


My right wrist recently flared up and naturally I tried to figure out what caused the problem. It could be my larger headed tennis racket that may strain the wrist more than my old racket. Or possibly my latest golf clubs with metal shafts rather than the more forgiving composite-shafted irons. Perhaps the cause is overuse from off-road biking. Then again, maybe it’s something out of the past like all those years throwing a baseball and softball, sliding headfirst like Pete Rose and jamming my hand into the base, or hitting my wrist real hard against the rim after the basketball slipped out during an attempted dunk. In the end, I concluded it couldn’t have been overuse from all these sports-related activities, rather it was a job injury way back in the summer of 1965 between my junior and senior years in high school while painting a neighbor’s house and barn!

Ok, so maybe that is a stretch and I should go see a doctor for a proper diagnosis, but my flawed thought process did bring back memories of that painting job. A neighboring farmer, Jim, a good friend of Dad’s, had just bought a second farm of 160 acres near our farm west of Ft. Loramie and asked my Dad if I might be available to lend a hand at the new place over the next several months. Since my younger brother was getting to the age where he could help Dad on our farm, he said yes. That meant I had landed my first real job, earning more than the $1.25 allowance money my parents gave us each week. Plus it meant my brother would finally earn his allowance! If I recall correctly, my wage was that much an hour instead of a week. But the work was tough and the hours were long!

After helping Jim get the crops planted, he directed me to paint the long neglected house and barn. He wanted to rent out the house so it needed a fresh coat of white paint. And the barn’s red paint was well worn. So starting on the house that summer, I quickly learned to paint on the side with the shade; however, Jim wanted the front of the house painted first so it looked more presentable (and rent-able) from the road. Fortunately, there was a large porch on that side of the house to provide the desired shade. After several weeks, the house was done so then I started painting the barn, which took the rest of the summer. To help cut the boredom, I rigged up an extension cord and radio for listening to the latest hits that summer; and there were many good tunes as listed below. Whenever I hear one of those oldies, to the annoyance of my wife, I sing along to every word just like in karaoke, until she’s had enough, at which time I use the opportunity to play more tennis, golfing and bike riding. Aha - another theory to explain my sore wrist!


No comments:

Post a Comment