Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Rhubarb Patch - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

A Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s.

Rhubarb Patch

After last week’s blog about my Mother’s garden, my sister reminded me that the blog entry was posted on what would have been my parents 69th anniversary, May 3rd,1947. I was born on Feb 6, 1948, nine months and three days later. At Mom & Dad’s 50th wedding anniversary celebration, during my congratulatory speech to our parents, I asked Dad & Mom what the heck took them so long and what they did for the first three days of their marriage!

Also, my other sister reminded me I had neglected to mention Mom's rhubarb patch when talking about her garden, which brought to mind the following story:

Back in the spring of 1982, the Sidney Daily News had an article about my mom's rhubarb pie including the photo below of her serving a piece to my father. Not sure if she ever won best pie at the Shelby County Fair, but in my book her rhubarb pie was a sure winner! The article went on to describe how she makes the pie, but the reporter failed to dig out one valuable piece of information about her rhubarb that I clarified in a follow-up Letter to the Editor that read:

Sidney Daily News
Thank you for your recent article about my mother and her rhubarb pie. It is indeed the best tasting pie around, no doubt because of her skills as a baker, but also for a reason my mother didn't mention to your reporter; her rhubarb is planted where the old outhouse used to be!
Her son, Dave


My sisters are now about the same age as mom was in the 1982 photograph posted by the SDN; However, they look 10-20 years younger than mom. On the other hand, dad is the same age as me and everyone says I look just like him! Go figure!

Several of my wife’s friends have come to discover my love for rhubarb, so they are so kind as to make rhubarb pie and rhubarb jam for me each summer. I savor every bite; the jam on toast for breakfast and the rhubarb pie warmed up in the microwave with a scoop of ice cream. To die for!


No comments:

Post a Comment