Tuesday, February 9, 2016

First Kiss - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

A Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s.

First Kiss



With Valentine’s Day around the corner and being the romantic that I am, this blog entry is all about my first kiss. It occurred during recess under the fire escape pictured above at Ft. Loramie elementary school in first grade. The school is now gone, but the memory lasts. Turns out this first kiss has something in common with the couple in the kiss cam photo below as well as a famous movie star, Eva Longoria. No, it wasn’t her that I kissed! But just as she claims in this video, Ms. Longoria’s first kiss tasted like Cheetos; so did mine. The first grade girl that I kissed was nibbling on some Cheetos and I went up to her and said I’d trade her a kiss for a Cheeto. She agreed and there we did the deed right behind the bushes under the fire escape. I wonder if she remembers it; likely not as it probably wasn’t her first kiss, as she was so hot!

Another memorable kiss came after a class party in the summer between my sophomore and junior year in high school, just after getting my drivers license. I was driving my Dad’s 1959 Chevy and asked a classmate if I could take her home after the party. She agreed but had a midnight curfew, so off we went after the party heading back to her house. Now this was the first time with a girl in a car and so I was learning and improvising on the fly. When we pulled into her driveway just before midnight, again being the romantic that I am, I reached over and opened the car door for her. I picked up this trick from my dad when he would drop my grandmother off at her house! The girl exclaimed “You mean you aren’t even going to walk me to the door?". So I dutifully walked her to the door and when we got there, I said goodnight and turned back to the car. She again exclaimed, “You’re not even going to kiss me goodnight?”. So I kissed her a good one - again learning on the fly. Remember this was a few years before Bob Seger’s Night Moves album, so had it been out, I would have of course known exactly what to do. Right! The song also reminds me of a part time summer job at a drive in theater I once held, but those escapades will be fodder for a future blog entry!

Happy Valentine’s Day, Fish Report lovers!



No comments:

Post a Comment