Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Rest of the Story! - Dave's Midwestern Ohio Memories

This is a guest blog by an anonymous Fish Report reader as part of a series of periodic posts that will focus on cherished memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s

The Rest of the Story!

Last week’s post about my parents first vacation many years after their honeymoon caused my siblings to remind me that the week our parents were gone was more than all work for us, as my oldest sister and I had thrown a party that night including a hayride for the partygoers. We sent our youngest siblings to bed early before everyone began arriving. The party started and soon the hayride took off. I was driving the tractor and a cute female partygoer wanted to drive, so of course I let her. That led to some problems, as suddenly we were in the ditch running down a neighbor’s fence before I could get the tractor stopped.Her view might have been blocked and it was dark out. Fortunately no one was hurt, except perhaps the cute partygoer's ego! The fence was fixed the next day well before our parents arrived back home, and nobody was the wiser until my younger siblings, who had been forced to go to bed early, spilled the beans about the party and the hayride gone awry. And regarding my 7-year-old brother not doing any work, he claims he shoveled manure all week and also rode on the hayride. Actually my sisters recalled he spent the time at an uncle and aunt’s place, for sure doing no work there either! Now you know the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment