Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A historic day for all of Ohio...

Any long-time Fish Report reader realizes there has always been one constant on the website and that is sports. Although I almost always focus on high school sports, I'm also a fan of professional and college athletics as well. Whenever possible, I try to watch my two favorite football teams, the Cleveland Browns and the Ohio State Buckeyes. If I do miss a game it's usually because something more important came up. For example, the biggest game I ever missed happened 18 years ago on September 30th, 1995...

You see, when you're planning a wedding, there's a lot of things to think about. Calling the priest. Reserving the hall. Booking the band. Agreeing on a honeymoon destination. One of the last things I thought about in 1994 when deciding my wedding date was the Ohio State football schedule. Even if the Buckeyes were playing Notre Dame for the first time in 60 years! I don't remember exactly who broke the news to me, but I remember my Ohio State friends reminding me about it more than enough times leading up to the big day.

September 30th, 1995 turned out to be a special day for me and it was a special day for the Bucks. That Notre Dame game broke an Ohio Stadium attendance record at the time and former St. Henry star Bobby Hoying had a huge day for OSU throwing four touchdown passes. Our wedding party managed to catch a few minutes of the game after mass and the gang had fun later that evening dressing up my bride and I in football gear.

Every anniversary several people will wish me happy anniversary and then ask what year I got married. I almost always reply "September 30th, 1995. The same day Ohio State played Notre Dame for the first time in 60 years." In hindsight, it's a day most people in Ohio will never forget!

I don't remember why I'm wearing the Notre Dame hat,
but I do remember the Buckeyes beat the Irish 45-26



No comments:

Post a Comment