Wednesday, August 15, 2012

BOSS Summer Run...

Big Orange runners young and old gather for the BOSS Summer Run

I traveled to Lions Park in West Liberty this past Saturday for the annual BOSS Summer Run.  The event is a fundraiser for the West Liberty-Salem cross country program and featured a 1-mile fun run, 2.4 mile race and 10k race.  After a summer full of 90 degree heat, the morning temperature was cool and in the 60's.  In other words, perfect for running!  I figured if I was going to make the 45 minute drive from Russia I might as well attempt the 10k.  My 2nd-grade son and 6th-grade daughter chose to run the 2.4 miler.  My 9th-grade daughter and wife helped at the finish line.

I'll sum up the course in two words, beautiful and hilly!  Both words compliment each other because what made the 10k enjoyable for me was the scenic and rolling countryside of West Liberty.  It was much different from the flat rural roads around Russia that I'm used to.  I asked the Tigers' top high school boys runner, senior Aaron Scott, if he trained on these same hills.  Aaron explained that the team actually trains a few miles away at Ohio Caverns, which has even more hills yet.  No wonder the boys and girls teams at West Liberty-Salem are traditionally strong!  It was a well run event under the direction of head girls coach Ann Vogel and one race I'll certainly run again in the future.

The BOSS Summer Run is also an opportunity for West Liberty-Salem cross county and track alums to return for a little camaraderie with the high school athletes who have taken their place.  I was lucky enough to meet one of their local legends, 1980 alum Earl Zilles.  Earl was a key member of the dynasty that won four consecutive state cross county titles from 1976-1979.  That dynasty launched the 'Big Orange' nickname for the program under coach Ken Lehman, who then named his shoe store Big Orange Shoe Shop or BOSS!  Earl shared some fascinating stories with me about Big Orange history that I felt fortunate to hear from him.  It sure made my 45 minute drive from Russia worth the trip!

Earl Zilles also won three state track & field titles in 1979 & 1980

No comments:

Post a Comment