Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Where were you moments...

The Announcement

I'm not the kind that easily remembers "where were you" when an important date in history happens.  I can really only recall a handful of moments like that.  September 11th, 2001 was certainly one of those times.  This past Sunday evening I was reminded of another moment as I watched a special presentation on ESPN called: The Announcement.  It was November 8th, 1991 and I was a junior at Wright State University.  I was sitting on a couch in my apartment at Meadow Run when one of my three college roommates came through the door and said, "hey, did you hear Magic Johnson has AIDS?"  I remember being floored by the news with no prior hint that there was even an issue.  Of course I would later find out Magic didn't have AIDS, rather the HIV virus.

I'm not sure why I remember where I was at that moment.  I guess it was just the shock of knowing nothing, hearing the dreadful news and then staying glued to the TV looking for answers.  I suppose in 2012 I would probably hear about the rumor on Facebook, get the news alert from Twitter and watch the replay of the press conference on YouTube.  I wonder if I'll ever have anymore "where were you" moments.  I can't imagine saying, "I'll never forget. I was sitting at a ballgame when I got a tweet on my Droid."

No comments:

Post a Comment