Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Classic Car Auction - Dave's Midwestern Ohio Memories

Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s

Classic Car Auction

Fellow Ford retiree, Jeff Burgy, recently attended the Mecum classic auto auction in Kissimmee, Florida that sold 3000 classics for over $200 million. Jeff sent me photos of the vehicles being auctioned off. He goes by the nickname Cobra Jeff and is the founder of the Shelby American Automobile Club. Check out this inaugural club newsletter from 1981 that describes the vehicles Jeff owned back then. He sent over 900 photos and I went through every one. Those that brought back memories and other favorites are highlighted here:


Here’s a beautiful 1967 427 Corvette that sold for $67,000. A friend who had one of these gave me a ride years ago and bet me I couldn’t grab the $5 bill he had taped to the dash while accelerating. I lost the bet but it was worth it.


My grandfather has a ’60 Ford Falcon like this and he let me drive it when I was 12.


Dad had a ’65 Chevy, even the same color, only 4 door. I wrecked it on an icy day just after getting my license. Grounded!


First new car I ever bought was a ’69 Nova SS for $1800 after trading in my ’62 Chevy. Fast and furious!


Back to the future in this Delorean. Sold for $79,000.


’57 Ford Skyliner - wrote a recent blog on this car:


Old and new Broncos: My brother and I were visiting my sister's place on Lake Loramie and we got stuck four wheeling around the lake. My brother-in-law Leroy Gaier, had to get the wrecker from Gaier’s Garage to pull us out. His parting words were we wouldn’t have gotten stick if we were driving a Jeep!


Attended the Indy 500 in 1969 when this Camaro was the pace car.


The mistakes made on the failed ‘59 Edsel carline still echoed the halls of Ford when I worked there decades later.




Saw this beauty do wheel stands at Detroit Dragway in 1968 while in college.


Love the Ford Cobra, but I was unfortunately too tall to fit in it.


Batmobile and Batcycle straight from Gotham City


My first car was a hand-me-down ’59 Chevy Bel Air from Dad, but sure not as nice as this beauty.


Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah used to host all kinds of speed racers. Visited the salt flats in the summer of 1970 on our way to California. Also we floated in Great Salt Lake.


Note the suicide rear doors on this ’66 Lincoln Continental that sold for $70,000.


Two retro Tbirds from 2003-05 era. We have a merlot 2004 model with only 7000 miles.


1996 Buick Blackhawk one-off model to celebrate Buick’s centennial; sold for $385,000!


’62 Chevy - had a model like this only not a convertible. Check out my blog on the car.


Amphibious car from 1965 that sold for $80,000!


Classic ’67 Corvette with monochromatic rims - kinda cool!


Saw my first Mustang just like this at Eagle Park in Minster in the summer of 1965. Forgot who the two girls in it were, but sure do remember the car. Gearhead nerd!


Rat Rods are a favorite - sold for $10,000.


Lots of restored pick-up trucks in the auction - here's a beauty.


Built a model car exactly like this ‘59 Lincoln Mark IV when I was a kid.


Love the ’57 Chevy and this one’s really nice that sold for a whopping $258,000.


My favorite car in the auction was this 2020 Ford GT selling for $925,000. See the live action by clicking this link. I would have loved to work on this car had I not been retired from Ford, but I did drive the racer around the Ford test track during a retiree event, which was a real thrill.

For all of Cobra Jeff’s Mecum Kissimmee auction photos, click this link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31256891@N08/albums/72177720295945487/page1

~~~~~~~~

Receive a weekly email whenever there is a new blog post. Just enter your email address in the designated spot below the blog and follow instructions to set up the notification.

No comments:

Post a Comment