Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Cheerleaders - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

A Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s.

Cheerleaders

1987 Ft. Loramie Redskins - My Brother-in-Law’s Wife in first row, second from the right

My continuing series of eBay memorabilia related to local communities will take a short hiatus to focus on a topic that ended last week’s blog - cheerleaders! With tournament time coming up, basketball players have to stay focused on winning or suddenly you’re done for the season or worse yet, your career. Staying focused is exactly what did not happen to me as a senior in our first tournament game at Sidney High against Anna. One of Anna’s players, who will go unnamed, was next to me along the foul line during an Anna foul shot early in the game. Turns out Loramie’s cheerleaders were stationed right under the basket and the Anna player next to me, just as the foul shot was about to go up, asked me the name of the red-headed cheerleader on the end. I looked over to see who it was (Jane) as the foul shot went up, which was missed, but the Anna player slipped around me, got the rebound, and put up a shot that went in as I fouled him. He made his foul shot, I eventually fouled out of the game and we lost by 3. Bummer! Anna went on to the regional finals; it could have been us had it not for my lack of focus. Jane, the red headed cheerleader, was indeed cute and as proof, was named Miss Chick that summer. Also, I ended up meeting, than marrying a Russia High cheerleader, living happily ever after as documented in this previous blogspot.

My brother-in-law also married a cheerleader, shown in the photo above. She got a call out by my brother-in-law during a recent Fish Report Live interview of Ft. Loramie’s Tom Brandewie.

Bottom line, boys being boys, they will always check out the cheerleaders, but take my word for it, avoid doing so in the middle of a tournament game!


No comments:

Post a Comment