Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Famous Sports Quotes - Dave's Midwestern Ohio Memories

Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s

Famous Sports Quotes

In our most recent church bulletin, a list of quotes applicable to this past Sunday’s feast day were included from saints and other famous religious experts. I found the list compelling and thought maybe a similar list of famous sports quotes may be of interest to Fish Report readers. Since I’ve already written blog posts on Yogisms and Sparkyisms, I’ll try not to repeat myself.


Likely the most famous quote by a sports figure is Lou Gehrig’s closing comment to his fans at Yankee Stadium upon his forced retirement due to ALS: “Yet today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.”

Here are some more:


Mike Ditka, legendary coach of da Bears; "What's the difference between a 3-week-old puppy and a sportswriter? In six weeks, the puppy stops whining.


Hank Aaron, Braves Hall of Famer; "It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course.


Frank Robinson, Reds star; “Close don't count in baseball. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.


Dale Earnhardt, legendary NASCAR driver; "You win some, lose some, and wreck some.


Doug Plank, Buckeye football player under Woody Hayes; "Most football players are temperamental. That's 90 percent temper and 10 percent mental.


George Brett, Kansas City baseball Hall of Famer; "If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out!


Joe Theismann, Notre Dame and Washington Redskins quarterback; "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.


Rocky Graziano, boxer; "I quit school in the sixth grade because of pneumonia. Not because I had it, but because I couldn't spell it.


Gary Player, pro golfer; "The more I practice, the luckier I get.


Archie Griffith, two-time Heisman Trophy winner for OSU; "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!


Jimmy DeMaret, pro golfer; "Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them!


Martina Navratilova, tennis star; "Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.


Bobby Jones, golf star; “Competitive sports are played mainly on a five-and-a-half inch court, the space between your ears.


Bear Bryant, legendary Alabama football coach; “It’s not the will to win that matters—everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.


Jim Valvona, NC State basketball coach; "Never give up! Failure and rejection are only the first step to succeeding.

And finally my favorite:


Bobby Knight, Indiana basketball coach; "When my time on Earth is gone, and my activities here are past, I want them to bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass."

Hope you enjoyed these. By the way, click on this link to see the quotes from our church bulletin, page 2.

~~~~~~~~

Receive a weekly email whenever there is a new blog post. Just enter your email address in the designated spot below the blog and follow instructions to set up the notification.

No comments:

Post a Comment