Friday, October 13, 2017

A visit to my childhood and the Cincinnati Reds...


Growing up a kid in the 70's and 80's, my youth started with the Big Red Machine and ended with Wire-To-Wire. I was a Cincinnati Reds nut that cherished the Dave Concepcion poster on my bedroom door and the collection of 1990 World Series VHS tapes I recorded myself. That's why it was such a treat for me to meet Lima Shawnee head baseball coach Chad Spencer on Thursday night. For me, life changed once I finished college. Work, family and other interests replaced my love for the Reds and baseball in general. For Coach Spencer, he's been lucky enough to still enjoy the same passion both he and I shared as boys.

After introducing myself and son outside his home, our conversation went a dozen different directions - all about baseball of course. I asked his opinion on extending the OHSAA season, I wanted to know how he prepared his Shawnee Indians to face Celina fireballer Seth Lonsway, and I had questions about his position on the state ACME board. I also shared some baseball stories of my own about my childhood and being a fanatic of the Reds. That's when he invited me into his home.

The photos you're about to see doesn't do justice to my experience. Kind of like taking pictures of the Grand Canyon - you'll get the idea, but you had to be there. I stepped into a time machine back to my youth. Baseball cards, Sports Illustrated magazines, pennants, jerseys, banners, and memorabilia of every kind. Even that same Dave Concepcion poster I had hanging in my bedroom. Exhibits for the Big Red Machine and the 1990 World Series Champs. By the way, half the items were even autographed. It was overwhelming, exciting, and a trip I'll never forget. If you happen to be any kind of Reds fan or any kind of baseball fan, I hope you enjoy the snapshots below. Click the pictures to expand.


















3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a collection. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a treat for you and Ross. Still remember you practicing the Pete Rose autograph and doing play by play commentary on tape recorder. Such fun memories

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! I think he needs to build an annex onto his house to hold it all!

    ReplyDelete