Tuesday, December 8, 2015

St. Nicholas - Dave’s Midwestern Ohio Memories

A Series of Guest Blogs by an out-of-state Fish Report reader originally from this area about fond memories of growing up in Midwestern Ohio during the 50’s & 60’s.


St. Nicholas


Look for the promised continuation of my blog about high school basketball next week (it’s a long season!) as something popped into my head this week while seeing a blurb about St. Nicholas day celebrated on December 6th. As kids in the 1950’s, on the eve of St. Nicholas day, we would dutifully hang our stockings with clothes pins on a bailing twine rope and pin our name to each stocking. And inside, we would include our Christmas wish list. Tradition has it that during the night, St. Nicholas would come and take the Christmas lists for delivery to his good friend Santa Claus so he could prepare for his Christmas eve deliveries. St. Nicholas would then leave some candy in the stocking if you were a good kid over the past year. On the other hand, if you were naughty, a piece of coal would be in the sock. Well one year, that’s exactly what was left for me. Apparently I had been teasing my sisters a little too much or not helping around the farm enough, so the coal sent the appropriate message. Even though I was on best behavior for the rest of the month leading up to Christmas, another subtle message was provided on Christmas eve, as the baseball glove that was on my Christmas list was “accidentally” stuffed between the cushions of the couch at my designated spot. My sisters no doubt were behind both incidents! And check out the cartoon to see the politically correct way to deal with similar naughtiness today!




No comments:

Post a Comment